Re: QR going national?

> > Hands down, QR wins. Take your bat and ball and go home, pal! :-)
>
> So, as long as you do the measuring you win...  very cute.
>
> > Are these measures good enough for you?
>
> No. They aren't meausers, they are just your strongly held beliefs.

I don't think that's fair. I think a pretty good case has been made out for
QR having the best rail system in Australia. During the early 80s I would
have put it as NSW SRA - electrification to Newcastle and Wollongong, XPT,
81 class, newish Eastern Suburbs line, East Hills and Maldon lines under
way... and they still had a lot of network back then.

Victoria would never have made the grade and while ANs interstate operation
was becoming creditable - the old SAR was never anything to write home about
and the Transadelaide system is dying by the day.

QR can be said to be Australia's most forward looking system - with WA
getting a honorable mention albeit on a smaller scale. I've lived in
Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane and of the 3 urban rail systems I thought
Brisbane had by far the best, although it wouldn't have carried the crowds
the way Sydney's can. Melbourne is just a useless mess. And by the way I'm
Victorian.

I regret the parochialism which discolours this newsgroup. It is this same
attitude which has ruined rail transport in this country when taken by
governments, but are the railfan fraternity any better?