Re: (VIC) Derailment @ Elders

In article <7ti4u4$n3u$1@news1.mpx.com.au> "Rod" <comtrain@mpx.com.au> writes:
>From: "Rod" <comtrain@mpx.com.au>
>Subject: Re: (VIC) Derailment @ Elders
>Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 22:52:47 +1000

>SNIPPED>
>> > The real problem was/is this, nobody likes change too
>> > much, the ex SAR employees hated ANR,
>>
>> >Vicrail employees hated ANR, the strikes, stopwork meetings, bans and
>> > limitations were legendary.  But in the end they all lost, the only
>winner
>> was >road transport.

>What a lot of crap Terry.
>I worked trains into Serviceton, on those occasions when we were waiting for
>wheat, I would hop up on the 930's and chat with the Crows all the time.
>Even arranged for a trip to Adelaide up front to see the "Hills"
>I will admit that Dimboola Crews did not fraternise with the Crows, but that
>was because it was never usual to sit around at Serviceton, we shunted and
>returned back whence we came.

>AFULE never stopped the C's from crossing the border, in fact most of us
>were looking forward to driving the 930's our first taste of vintage Alco.
>Got Video of triple belching 930's near Horsham...was very good, but piuty
>they were so "greasy"

>Rod рс  [grrr....]

There is no doubt that at ground level , all rail employees get on with each
other, the problem is at senior management level where there has always been
a high degree of "lets not cooperate in any way with adjacent rail systems."
This is why we have so many uncompatible safeworking, radio comm and driver
accreditation schemes in place.
The classic example in this case of non cooperation was the installation of
the CTC from Pyreenees Loop to the border ,and Wolsely to Murray Bridge..
Both the VIC and SA systems were installed at very close to the same time ,
the equipment all came from the same manufacturer , MK&H , the signals all
display the same aspects, but in the spirit of total non cooperation all the
rules are differant in each state.
Bobs point previously about the non consistancy in the crossing loop lengths
is another example of total idiocy at work , 1200 M loops in SA, 1500 M loops
in Vic.
In Paul Nevilles initial enquiry into Rail reform he likened each of the State
rail systems as medieval fiefdoms , operating in a total isolated way having
no regard whatsoever for their actions on adjacent railways.

Sadly , this stupidity is still going on today.

MD