Re: Western Industrial Sidings Tour

David Langley <del@ancc.com.au> wrote in message
37F74D5F.5BB6FB13@ancc.com.au">news:37F74D5F.5BB6FB13@ancc.com.au...

> Michael Kurkowski wrote:

> > One complaint however. People behaved like sheep. We had a schedule to run
> > to, a photostop was all prepared and lined up (mostly), yet people still
> > dawdled on inbetween the photographers and the train. Also a couple of
> > cases of people walking/running/etc in front of the photoline, which called
> > for a few jeers of discouragement.

> This is why some people frequent the RTA and AREA tours. Small groups easily
> managed.

Ahhhh... Fruit Free Zones |-)

> > On a better note, i did end up meeting a few of the ausrailers, Steven
> > Hurst, Chris Gordon, Gareth Lumsden, Roderick Smith, and a tireless Craig
> > Haber, who conductored the trip. *waves to all* I did not however see the
> > elusive Notagunzel (Was he perhaps the one locked into the compartment with
> > Motormouth? :))

Luckily I avoided Motormouth.  Although at one point waiting for the Patricks
train, this entity sprouted numerous statements nearby.  What was so
increadable, was that every single one was absolutely totally incorrect.

I make 7 correspondants present. SH, CG, GL, RBS, CH, DEL & NAG.

> I must have been invisible as well although those who know me would say how
> could I ever be invisible. My mate and I were in the BRS and were thus only a
> compartment or two from Motormouth - and he certainly lived up to the
> reputation. It was a pity that nothing intelligent came out all day.

<troll>

Send him an invitation to join Tom & his merry group.

</troll>

> > Having said all that, it will be intersting to see everyone else's comments
> > on today, of those who went anyway (or the few that chased it, impossible
> > task considering the speed we were doing ;-)).

> I agree Michael, a splendid day. Highlights today for me was travelling into
> Boral's yard rather than just along the line and to Maribyrnong River Sidings.
> I haven't been to Appleton Dock (by train) for around 25 years, it all looks a
> little different. It was interesting to see how the East Swanson Dock and the
> Swanson Dock lines have been completely obliterated by containers. I did note
> in reading the tour notes that whoever wrote them kept referring to SwanSton
> Dock, I hope that someone points out to them the correct spelling.

Being hauled by Y 127 from the Newport Workshops Lead into the Garden Platform
wasn't expected.  After an impromptu meeting of the Joint Central Committee On
Important Matters, the decision was made that being hauled around Newport 'Shops
by Y 127 will be counted as mileage.  This is good, as I needed that engine.

Its always good trundling around Melbourne Yard, things always seem to be in a
state of evolution.  The leads around the point where the Reversing Loop passes
'Canal Jct' have changed since I last carried out an inspection.

Mind you, no trip along Brooklyn - Newport is complete without a delays of 30+
mins waiting a path. |-(

A question raised during the day is who performs Train Control for Sims St Jct -
West Footscray Jct, and Tottenham B - Newport, Centrol or Mile End?

I was waiting all day for CH's soap, but he musta left it behind. |-)

--
Mr Notagunzel.
Rail Transportation Connoisseur.