Re: Taken For A Ride

Dave McL <davemcl@AXE*THISiprolink.co.nz> wrote in message
37f589e2@news.iprolink.co.nz">news:37f589e2@news.iprolink.co.nz...
> John Wayman wrote:
>
> > Labor governments killed off tramway systems throughout the 1960's,
while
> > Victoria had a Liberal government (that spent nothing on transport) that
> > kept the trams running as they traded at a profit. A bus conversion
program
> > would have been costly and probably would have lost money.
>
> It was Labour administrations which destroyed the tramway systems all
> over Australia. The Sydney and Brisbane examples must rank among the
> greatest acts of civic vandalism in Australia's history. Clem Jones even
> boasted he got rid of Brisbane's modern tramway system in 1969 because
> he wanted everyone to drive private cars.

Funny you say that David, I agree with you. During the period when it was
considered hip to get rid of trams all over the world, various LABOR
Governments and (in the case of Brisbane) City Councils closed tramways in
Australia.

But what you conveniently forgot to mention was:

That when it was again becoming the in thing to build tramways around the
world, it was a Liberal SA Government that scuttled Adelaide's Parkland Tram
extensions in favour of building that useless 'U' Barn or what ever its
called.

The Labor party (who had commisioned the project) was thrown out of power
and the incoming Liberals killed it off.

It was the Liberals that killed the Geelong, Ballarat and Bendigo trams
also.

They call it selective memory I think?

Bob.