Re: Taken For A Ride

A labor government that has been captured by bus interests who should be
building light rail SW of parramatta - a labor government that refused to
allow light rail back into Sydney CBD - a labor govt built the monsterail -
a labor govt that made lots of enemies in the St Kilda/Port Melb areas and
wanted that Clarendon St  Bridge removed just as badly as their successors -
a labor govt that prevented the Brisbane light rail from going to St Lucia
where it could have picked up some bums on seats like it needs - the labor
government so keen to get rid of no 12 route (I can't really remember why
either - they even built that turn from William into Bourke so the trams
wouldn't have to use Clarendon St to get home to the depot)

While I'm at it - a Liberal govt that nearly killed off Perth's suburban
trains and is finishing off the Adelaide system good and proper - the
Liberal state leader in QLD who seems determined to stop rail transport from
entering the Sunshine Coast and is being abetted in this by the current
labor regime - the liberal govt allowed that stupid strip of road down the
centre of the M2 that could have made a transport system - and the icing on
the cake - the Kennett government - the single largest transport wrecking
firm in the country - bringing down the Dimboola, Mildura, Leongatha,
Cobram, Bairnsdale and Warragul trains (although to be fair Echuca got its
first regular pass since 81)

They're as bad as each other
--
Riccardo finally emerged from the dark and musty den where he had been
hiding, blinked in the blinding light and declared...
Exnarc <gwrly@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
7t9ahm$2ck6$1@otis.netspace.net.au">news:7t9ahm$2ck6$1@otis.netspace.net.au...

> Dave McL <davemcl@AXE*THISiprolink.co.nz> wrote in message
> 37f589e2@news.iprolink.co.nz">news:37f589e2@news.iprolink.co.nz...
> > John Wayman wrote:
> >
> > > Labor governments killed off tramway systems throughout the 1960's,
> while
> > > Victoria had a Liberal government (that spent nothing on transport)
that
> > > kept the trams running as they traded at a profit. A bus conversion
> program
> > > would have been costly and probably would have lost money.
> >
> > It was Labour administrations which destroyed the tramway systems all
> > over Australia. The Sydney and Brisbane examples must rank among the
> > greatest acts of civic vandalism in Australia's history. Clem Jones even
> > boasted he got rid of Brisbane's modern tramway system in 1969 because
> > he wanted everyone to drive private cars.
>
> Funny you say that David, I agree with you. During the period when it was
> considered hip to get rid of trams all over the world, various LABOR
> Governments and (in the case of Brisbane) City Councils closed tramways in
> Australia.
>
> But what you conveniently forgot to mention was:
>
> That when it was again becoming the in thing to build tramways around the
> world, it was a Liberal SA Government that scuttled Adelaide's Parkland
Tram