Re: 3801+3830: (A Mexican incursion)

On Sun, 3 Oct 1999 19:38:50 +1000, "Chris Stratton" wrote in aus.rail,
and I selectively quote:

>3801+3830 made an impressive sight through Farmborough Heights this morning
>about 0950 (8 late) in constant rain. The wet conditions caused a few
>occasions of slipping, one right under the first bridge at Farmborough
>Heights that I was on. It sounds very impressive on the video.

Constant rain was an understatement..... more like standing in a cold
shower with the taps turned on flat out!  They recovered well so that
by the time they got to that S bend about half way up the double
track, they were looking and sounding wonderful powering through the
pouring rain and mist.  Hmm, I could almost get to like 38s <g,d,r!!>.

krel and I had driven up from Melbourne on Saturday and met Paul and
Lindsay at Jaanali (sp?) on Sunday morning for the chase.   After the
Jaanali shot, we proceeded to Waterfall for a departure shot, most of
us taking time to notice the well-formed 0-2-0 on the platform (hmm a
lot of focus checking with the zoom lens <g!>).

>From there it was off to FH for the S-bend shot (one of my shots of
the day!); the train was moving well at that point, but we were still
able to catch it before Dombarton loop in spite of the difficult
conditions.

3801 slipped in spectacular fashion at Dombarton where the line goes
to single track, but with a steadying hand (rod?), 3830 kept her feet
and they struggled onwards up the escarpment.   If I can master the
art of creating an MP3 file of the event, I'll upload it to my web
page.  At the summit, the rain and fog was so thick you could barely
see (though you could certainly hear) the train from the road as they
passed underneath us at the bridges at Robertson.

The main bar at the Robertson pub provided the venue for a huge and
convivial gathering of aus.railers and auslocoers with a civilised 3
hour stop to enable us to dry out and partake of an ale or so and a
good pub meal.

Then after lunch, krel and I were shown around Exeter station and box
before rejoining the chase of the 38s home.  We filmed and videoed the
train at Calwella, Bowral (crossing triple NRs on a Melbourne bound
goods at the station - heart stopping stuff for the guys on the down
platform as they wondered if their shot would be "nr"ced out!) and on
the horseshoe bend at Maldon before calling it a day.  An accumulation
of fans at Lindsay's place enabled us to view the day's video footage
and a mug of coffee helped us on our way for the long run home to
Melbourne (the Hume's a dream run now - we averaged 102km/h for the
600 km from Yass to my home in East Melbourne, arriving at 0223).

Many, many thanks to Paul Hogan and Lindsay Lucas for being our hosts
and escorts for the day (we got some superb footage of the 38s:
thanks guys) and also the geniality and hospitality of the other
Sydney railfans was very much appreciated.  It was great to put faces
to names such as Derek Rogers, Bevan Wall, Dennis Rittson;  I'm sorry
if I've left anyone out.  Also spotted Peter Neve and Ron Whatsisname
from a couple of ARE tours I led in the 80s.

 You have to wonder about some of the NSW railfans, though......

*  in the pouring rain near Dumbarton, one sprayed Aerogard onto his
sodden boots in an effort to keep the leeches off:  it must have
worked perfectly as none of the railfans in the group was subsequently
found to have been attacked by leeches;

* the best candidate on the day for the Millennium Darwin Award has to
be the life form who took the boot lid off his Datsun 240K so he could
stand up in the boot and video pace the train as it ascended the grade
at Dumbarton, holding on to a rusty roof rack with one hand as the car
swerved, slithered and swayed up the muddy, slippery access track
(even a certain Mexican 4WD momentarily lost its footing on that track
<g!>);  the Mexican candidate for that award just isn't in his league
(being beaten to death by frustrated fellow fans just wouldn't have
the same panache!);

* NSW railfans have forever lost the right to complain about Mexico's
weather ever again.

I look forward to being able to repay the hospitality next year when
the 38s head south in search of sun and fine weather.

Thanks, 3801 and 3830, and all their fans for making our incursion an
extremely enjoyable and memorable "bash".

Regards

Yuri
--
Yuri J Sos