Re: Western Industrial Sidings Tour

Michael Kurkowski wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Well today's western industrial sidings your, in my opinion was quite a
> success. Congratulations and thanks go out to the organiser of this tour!

snip

> One complaint however. People behaved like sheep. We had a schedule to run
> to, a photostop was all prepared and lined up (mostly), yet people still
> dawdled on inbetween the photographers and the train. Also a couple of
> cases of people walking/running/etc in front of the photoline, which called
> for a few jeers of discouragement.

This is why some people frequent the RTA and AREA tours. Small groups easily
managed.

> On a better note, i did end up meeting a few of the ausrailers, Steven
> Hurst, Chris Gordon, Gareth Lumsden, Roderick Smith, and a tireless Craig
> Haber, who conductored the trip. *waves to all* I did not however see the
> elusive Notagunzel (Was he perhaps the one locked into the compartment with
> Motormouth? :))

I must have been invisible as well although those who know me would say how
could I ever be invisible. My mate and I were in the BRS and were thus only a
compartment or two from Motormouth - and he certainly lived up to the
reputation. It was a pity that nothing intelligent came out all day.

> Having said all that, it will be intersting to see everyone else's comments
> on today, of those who went anyway (or the few that chased it, impossible
> task considering the speed we were doing ;-)).

I agree Michael, a splendid day. Highlights today for me was travelling into
Boral's yard rather than just along the line and to Maribyrnong River Sidings.
I haven't been to Appleton Dock (by train) for around 25 years, it all looks a
little different. It was interesting to see how the East Swanson Dock and the
Swanson Dock lines have been completely obliterated by containers. I did note
in reading the tour notes that whoever wrote them kept referring to SwanSton
Dock, I hope that someone points out to them the correct spelling.

David Langley.