Re: Time Wasting Puzzle - Longest Standard Gauge Trip

Aaaaaarrrggghhh!

Chris Brownbill wrote in a welcome "bite" message
 I'll have a go -
>>> This assumes that Sydney Central surface and Underground are the same
place. It also assumes the Sydney airport line is open.
>>>Gladstone - Goobang Junction - Narromine - Dubbo - Merrygoen - Binnaway -
Gap - Werris Creek South - Muswellbrook - Gulgong - Wallerawang -
Granville -  Cabramatta - Regents Park South - Sydenham - Redfern - Darling
Harbour - Enfield - Regents Park North - Lidcombe - Strathfield - Hornsby -
Wynyard - St. James - Central - Airport - Wolli Creek Junction -
Wollongong - Unanderra - Moss Vale - Demondrille - Blayney - Orange -
Parkes- Stockinbingal - Griffith - Narrandera - Junee - Tottenham - North
Geelong - Adelaide - Crystal Brook - Kwinana.

Chris Stratton wrote in another message
>>>The Airport line goes under the Illawarra line and then joins the East
Hills line, I don't think you could get from the Airport direct to
Wollongong.

In the original question, I omitted any suggestion that only one train could
be used and just asked "what is the longest possible route you can take
without ever visiting the same place twice or retracing your route?

This allows a change of trains as Wolli Creek (Chris Stratton's point) or at
Wynyard (Chris Brownbill's route) or at Town Hall (which is how I planned to
pass through Central twice).  I think that if we don't stop, we can pass
over and under the Lewisham Viaduct (as Chris Brownbill does!).

The broad route I had in mind went Roto - Griffith - Stockingbingal -
Goobang Jct. - Narromine - Dubbo - Molong - Wallerawang - Binnaway - Werris
Creek - East Greta Jct. - Weston - Richmond Main - Hexham - ??? loops around
Carrington ??? - Strathfield - Darling Harbour  - (cheating trip via the
Quay and a change of trains at Town Hall????) - Enfield - Glenfield - Wolli
Creek Jct - (wrong road working to Rockdale) - Unanderra - Goulburn (add a
few hundred metres via Demondrille West, Cootamundra West, Junee West) -
Tottenham - etc.

I am afraid that, when we add up the Kms, the Chris Brownbill route is still
longer than the one I had in mind.

I'm still waiting to learn whether there are any useful loops in the
Victorian SG network.

Tks for your responses (past or future),

Bill

BTW, was the original 1600mm thread inspired by CAMS' Australian Rally Code?