Re: Melbourne frequencies (was Double deckers)

> Off peak it is a 20  in service on each line through the Northern
loop. If
> one train is delayed by 3 miknutes the next 2 trains are also blocked.
> There were some tests done earlier this year comparing headways in the
> Burnley loop where signalling had been improved. It showed minor
> improvement.

This is rubbish, if you have a 20 minute service on five lines then
thats four minutes between trains. If one train is delayed by three
minutes, therefore, it wouldn't slow down the next train by more than a
minute and certainly wouldn't affect the one after.

> > Anyway, why should they all go through the loop? Half should go
direct
> > to Flinders & Spencer from Nth melb, then you can have a 10-min off
> > peak frequency which gives you just over 3mins between trains with
room
> > to add extra ones during the peaks if needed.
>
> Government policy.

Policy is no justification - why should they all go through the loop?

> To run a train on these tracks you have to get the permission of
Adelaide.
> You also still use the Gauntlet track at Franklin St. and have to
croos the
> passenger lines at Sunshine. Passenger trains, (if they were alowed
to go
> that way) would get blocked at Tottenham and Sunshine on the Down and
> Tottenham and Sim st on the Up.
>
> Also Bayside trins will not allow trains to cross the lines at Sunhine
> (i.e. Tottenham - Bacchus Marsh) during the peaks.

None of which I find to be compelling reasons for poor service.

Vaughan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.