Melbourne Double deckers

Now I will probably highlight my ignorance here..real naivety!!
With both new Franchisees about to boldly go where no system has been
before in Australia...that is be punctual, be value, be clean and be
safe ...or have the crap fined out of you!!.............why amongst all
the proposed guff about new train-sets is no consideration  given to
double deckers..Sydney has long proved the viability of the
concept!!...are we Victorians that stupid to overlook this ..or is there
a real reason...and if you come up with there are a couple of bridges
too low etc ..think again, you'll need to do better to convince me that
with allowing for some engineering work , that we cant have Double
Deckers...I've always wanted to know the answer to this....Im sure i
will get it...thanks