Re: [NSW} Platform oddities in Sydney system?

Going to MacDonaldtown once per month from mid-1978 to mid 1983 (2510)
I seem to recall that the suburban island platform had two full faces.
It was as accessible as the local island platform.

The suburban platform was demolished (dug out?) in the early 1980's.

Brett

<3815cdc5.27096961@news.ihug.co.nz>...
> >The platforms at Macdonaldown in Sydney were numbered 2 and 3 until
> >the early 80's.  It did appear that Macdonaldtown had platforms on
the
> >Suburban lines at some stage... but... why 2 and 3?  What about the
> >4th platform?
>
> The 1974 Local Appendix lists only one island platform as exisiting.
>
> Between the 1892 quadruplication and the 1927 sextuplication,
Macdonaldtown
> had four platforms: Up Fast (now buried under the Up Main), Down
Fast/Up
> Slow (between the present Suburban lines) and Down Slow (now the Up
Local).
> IIRC, in the 1950s/60s, the platform between the Suburban lines had a
face
> to the Up Suburban, but just a gentle slope towards the Down
Suburban.  So I
> guess it was Platform 1.
>
> Rgds
>
> Bill