Re: Kensington bridge collapse

On Thu, 04 Nov 1999 11:31:03 +1100, "Stuart Thyer"
<s.thyer@anatomy.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

>Michael has got it pretty much spot on.  I come through that way every day
>on the way to work.  A deck railing, which in turn is supported by timber
>decking beams, has collapsed in one section on the goods line bridge over
>Lloyd Street.  This would have allowed ballast to fall through onto the
>road.  The pass lines bridge is intact, although I guess it is possible that
>debris may fall onto passing trains due to the height difference of the two
>bridges.  I actually noticed the collapsed railing when i came through on
>wednesday, but didn't think much of it until I couldn't get through last
>night due to police turning me back.

I had noticed that the railing was leaning badly on the morning of the
day of the collapse.  I had intended reporting it, but decided not to
because I only got a quick glimpse of it as I went past on the train.
I'm pretty sure it was leaning like this on the Friday before that too
(29.10.99), so I wondered if it had actually been leaning for a long
time, and that surely the train drivers would have noticed and
reported it if it was something new.

Did anyone else notice it?

Peter Shute