Re: Kensington bridge collapse

Stuart

The total occupation last week was for resleepering, the 30kmph speed
restriction is on the condition of the points.  Due to the then Federal
government being tight and only getting 170 million  for the gauge
conversion of the Melbourne to Adelaide track we ended up with a crappy Dual
gauge line between Tottenham and Newport, when we (When I worked for Connell
Wagner and Kinhill) we had to try and use available track work and mix in
with the existing trackwork the result, Victoria Gauge Splitting turnouts
and South Australia Dual Gauge turnouts.  The AN turnouts are all 47kg and
the points are not head hardened, hence the problems with the serviceability
of the points, as you go through a AN turnout you have both the broad gauge
and standard gauge blades these have to be spot on at line speed and so any
wear must be treated with caution.  It would have been better in the long
run to have tried to put a standard gauge line in from totty to Newport, but
it was about 100 years too late and someone built houses and roads on the
land near the tracks.

Retimbering wouldn't have fixed the problem, and we where employed by
Bayside not ABB. to do the resleepering.

Cheers

Stephen Devenish
JOHN HOLLAND