Re: Second rate Alice - Darwin line?

Maurie has it

Why use 60kg rail on a line that will not be seeing more than a couple of
trains a day?  You have to look at the amount of traffic.  Maurie might be
able to tell us what the current usage of the track is now and I wouldn't
see it increasing 10 to 20 fold.

47kg rail on concrete sleepers is a good track structure and if managed
correctly will provide service for the foreseeable future, if Australia
started rail profile grinding like in the states then the rail would last
even longer, add to this a little bit of tamping when required and you
should be OK for a long while.  If traffic increases and heavier axle loads
are required the go ahead and re rail, but why pay out more money initially
just for the future if the project is very tight?  Who knows this could end
up being the Number one line in Australia and may have to be upgraded sooner
rather than later.

I don't know whats happening with the other proposal to run the line via the
inland eastern seaboard to Darwin via VIC, NSW , QLD & NT, but if this got
off the ground it could make the Darwin to Alice line redundant?

Stephen Devenish