Re: Second rate Alice - Darwin line?

In article <D=EgON3Z=4xUyUmEVrJVT2jhfatp@4ax.com> "< Tell >" <telljb@OZozemail.com.au> writes:
>From: "< Tell >" <telljb@OZozemail.com.au>
>Subject: Re: Second rate Alice - Darwin line?
>Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 12:06:03 +0930

>dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote:
>>
>> The Australian (29/10, p1) reports that 155,000 t of rail will be needed
>> to build the Alice - Darwin line. This doesn't quite tally. 1410km of main
>> line * 2 rails * 60kg/m = 169,200 t. 155,000 t of 60km/h rail only gets
>> you 1291km of track.
>>
>> Add 16km for 10 loops, plus 10 sidings of the same length and you need
>> 2,884,000 m of rail. This comes out to just under 54kg/m.

>The majority of rail on the TAS is 47kg/m. ANR intended
>to use the same on their proposed Alice to Darwin line.

Currently , Tarcoola to AP is only 47 kg/m on concrete.
No point using heavier rail than this on the northern end , unless you
completely relay Tarcoola to AP.
Even doing this doesnt make much sense as Adelaide to Tarcoola is also
only 47 kg/m on concrete.
47 kg/m on concrete allows full mainline speed with 23 tonne axle load locos.
(At least it does on ex AN rails, (ELs are allowed 135 km/h).
As its very unlikely that we will see heavier than 23 tonne locos on the new
line,whats the point of using 60 kg/m rail.
Whilst it would be nice ,lets not forget that this project is economically
extremely marginal.

MD