Re: level crossing near misses.

Daniel Bowen <dbowen@#DELETE#custard.net.au> wrote in message
i4WT3.759$46.3853@ozemail.com.au">news:i4WT3.759$46.3853@ozemail.com.au...
> They're not aware, or they ignore some of the laws. Like the one that says
> you don't drive over the crossing until the red lights have stopped
> flashing. Not when the boom has gone up; when the lights have stopped
> flashing. Watch the next time you're at a crossing.

Have you ever tried to remain stopped at a level crossing until the boom
gates have gone up and the red lights have ceased flashing? I try to, but
when the traffic in the lane next to you (on a 4-lane carriageway) and those
in the opposite direction start moving off as soon as the boom gates have
lifted sufficiently clear, you are bullied into disobeying the law by the
turkeys behind you. You feel like an idiot, stopped, waiting for the boom
gates to complete their lifting cycle and the red lights to stop flashing.
Cars behind you start blowing their horns, and drivers yell abuse, until you
start to move.
The red flashing lights are supposed to be the same as a normal red traffic
signal ie you stop and remain stopped whilst it is on. It is just that there
is no green light to tell you when you can move off. One of these days the
police might realise that this is another lucrative source of fund raising
where non-compliance earns another hefty fine.

canetram59