Re: level crossing near misses.

Dave Proctor wrote:

> *snip*

> > If people won't stop for flashing red lights then they aren't any more
> likely to
> > stop for steady the red lights of traffic lights.
> > People who want to kill themselves can rarely be stopped.
>
> But they will have an effect on those road users who do not see the flashing
> lights as a direction to stop - and this can be backed up by the red-light
> cameras, to provide a financial incentive to the all-but-suicidal.

David (Proctor), you never cease to amaze me....

Why do you think that flashing red lights are less effective than solid red
traffic lights?
Impatience seems to get the better of everybody from time to time, regardless of
whether its waiting to be served at a shop, or being held at a level crossing.

In the end It all comes down to education,  Stupidity defies all laws.

Also, for what you suggest to be effective, Red Light Cameras would need to be
installed on every crossing.
You will notice that the presence of a red light camera is only effective where
installed. They do not deter drivers from illegal manouvres at "unsupervised"
intersections.

It would be like having traffic lights installed at every intersection, so that
those who don't look for the stop signs can see that they have to stop....
where does the protection end??

I fimly believe in the theory of prevention being better than cure, but its alot
to do (especially in Melbourne) to remove every level crossing.

--
Thanks,

Tony Gatt.

  Never be afraid to try something new.