Re: level crossing near misses.

Tony Gatt <baulko@tig.com.au> wrote in message
381D5B37.EF79DCAE@tig.com.au">news:381D5B37.EF79DCAE@tig.com.au...

> Dave Proctor wrote:
>
> > *snip*
>

> > > If people won't stop for flashing red lights then they aren't any more
> > likely to
> > > stop for steady the red lights of traffic lights.
> > > People who want to kill themselves can rarely be stopped.
> >
> > But they will have an effect on those road users who do not see the
flashing
> > lights as a direction to stop - and this can be backed up by the
red-light
> > cameras, to provide a financial incentive to the all-but-suicidal.
>
> David (Proctor), you never cease to amaze me....
>
> Why do you think that flashing red lights are less effective than solid
red
> traffic lights?

Because it is what people are used to - they stop at a red traffic light as
a matter of course. There are places in the UK that I have been to that have
had traffic lights fitted. It is reported (don't know how true it is though)
that the number of people crossing illegally dropped astronomically (I will
see if I can find the article and I will scan it in).

> Impatience seems to get the better of everybody from time to time,
regardless of
> whether its waiting to be served at a shop, or being held at a level
crossing.

> In the end It all comes down to education,  Stupidity defies all laws.
>
> Also, for what you suggest to be effective, Red Light Cameras would need
to be
> installed on every crossing.

Which is what I put in my original post. Not necessarily a camera at every
crossing - just the mountings, and rotate the cameras around (like they do
with the rest of them).

--
DaveProctor
thadocta AT dingoblue.net.au