Re: Second rate Alice - Darwin line?

mauried@commslab.gov.au (Maurie Daly) wrote:

> Currently , Tarcoola to AP is only 47 kg/m on concrete.
> No point using heavier rail than this on the northern end , unless you
> completely relay Tarcoola to AP.
> Even doing this doesnt make much sense as Adelaide to Tarcoola is also
> only 47 kg/m on concrete.
> 47 kg/m on concrete allows full mainline speed with 23 tonne axle load locos.
> (At least it does on ex AN rails, (ELs are allowed 135 km/h).
> As its very unlikely that we will see heavier than 23 tonne locos on the new
> line,whats the point of using 60 kg/m rail.
> Whilst it would be nice ,lets not forget that this project is economically
> extremely marginal.

The only place heavier rail would/could be considered
is the fairly steep and winding climb confronting
trains immediately on leaving the Alice Springs yards.
Also there is the "Darwin Hills", old colloquial name
for 300 Kms of continuous hilly country between
Katherine and Darwin.  No surprise that the new line
will only be "following" sections of the former NAR up
there.

Pure assumptions at this stage, but I wonder if they
will be using BHP head hardened rail.?

Whatever, I will let know when the first rail carrying
train arrives up here. :)

----Terry Burton