Re: GSR will extend the Ghan service to Darwin

Jackson Harding <jaxsonjo@camtech.net.au> wrote and I
quote from his original post:

>> The original line to Alice Springs was 1067mm, but that was replaced
>> in sections over the years to become 1435mm.&nbsp; In fact, part of that
>> original line is one of the preserved SA 1067mm lines (The Pichi Richi
>> Railway).
> [To which he added]
> The line was originally all NG.  In the early 60's the SG was put
> through to the Leigh Creek coalfields and extended on to Maree, where
> there was a break of gauge, the Ghan then ran on a mixture of SG and
> NG.  That line beyond the coal mines was replaced by the Tarcoola-Alice
> Springs line later on.  Sure looks like a gradual shift from narrow to
> standard guage to me.

Yeah OK, I was taking your post in context with the
Tarcoola to Alice Springs line.

Of course before the Port Augusta to Port Pirie SG
connection was opened in 1937, the narrow gauge
commenced its journey from Terowie.
Prior to that, narrow gauge trains operated out of Port
Augusta through to Quorn around 1879 and then North in
the following years.

----Terry Burton