Re: GSR will extend the Ghan service to Darwin

Jackson Harding <jaxsonjo@camtech.net.au> wrote:
> The long closed North Australia Railway, which ran south from Darwin
> was 1067mm.&nbsp; It represented a war time effort, mostly bankrolled by
> the US military, to connect to the then 1067 gauge line in Alice Springs.&nbsp;
> It was closed, I think, in 1976 or 77.

> The original line to Alice Springs was 1067mm, but that was replaced
> in sections over the years to become 1435mm.&nbsp; In fact, part of that
> original line is one of the preserved SA 1067mm lines (The Pichi Richi
> Railway).

Where do you get your information from.?
The Australian media maybe.

The NAR was NOT bankrolled by the US military, it
existed long before WW2, there was never any intention
by the Australian or US authorities to bridge the gap
between the Alice Springs and Birdum terminals during
the War, the Stuart Highway was sealed as a priority
for the military convoys instead.

The Tarcoola to Alice Springs line did not "gradually
replace" the narrow gauge, the standard gauge is a long
way west of the old narrow gauge and both gauges were
operational into Alice Springs for a short period.

----Terry Burton