Re: GSR will extend the Ghan service to Darwin

Jackson Harding <jaxsonjo@camtech.net.au> wrote in message
381EB8A0.E70D80EB@camtech.net.au">news:381EB8A0.E70D80EB@camtech.net.au...

> The connections between Crystal Brook - Broken Hill - Peterborough - Pt
> Augusta and Alice Springs escape me, although I was under the impression
> that the line to The Alice really started from Pt Augusta and went
> through Quorn and Hawker before heading on up to Maree and the centre
> while the line from Peterborough was to Pt Augusta and that passengers
> from Sydney changed at Peterborough on 3'6" for the service to Pt
> Augusta and then at Quorn to catch The Gahn.  Was this not the case?
> I'm not originally from this part of the world and I'm yet to delve into
> the 3'6" history of my adopted state in depth.  I based my details on
> one visit to Pichi Richi while I was doing a short term locum in Pt
> Augusta.

I have just finished reading a book on the history of the TAR so I will try
and answer this.
The broad gauge ran from Adelaide to Terowie. Narrow gauge
Terowie-Peterborough-Quorn-Port Augusta. The narrow gauge CAR ran
Quorn-Hawker-Marree-Alice Springs. Port Pirie-Crystal
Brook-Peterborough-Silverton-Broken Hill was narrow gauge. The Quorn-Marree
section was replaced by the standard gauge line from Stirling North (about
2km east of Port Augusta) to Marree, and the standard gauge was also
extended from Port Augusta to Port Pirie. Port Pirie-Broken Hill was
converted to standard gauge in 1969, also bypassing Silverton.
Terowie-Peterborough converted to broad gauge. There was also broad gauge
from Adelaide to Gladstone and I think Port Pirie as well.
--
Regards,
Chris Stratton