Re: GSR will extend the Ghan service to Darwin

John Dennis wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Nov 1999 17:34:03 +1030, Jackson Harding
> <jaxsonjo@camtech.net.au> wrote (and after some difficulty with the
> HTML I was finally able to read.......):

Thanks for that, I thought I had it set for plain text.  Mea culpa.

> >in sections over the years to become 1435mm.&nbsp; In fact, part of that
> >original line is one of the preserved SA 1067mm lines (The Pichi Richi
> >Railway).
>
> I would say that there are three preserved railways on the original
> 3'6" line to Alice Springs.  Pichi Richi, Steamtown (at Peterborough)
> and the line in the NT with the NSUs (Ghan?)
>
> Cheers...JD

Steamtown was the other 3'6" preserved line in SA (The south coast
railway being a preserved 5'3" line, as is the Limestone Coast railway)
however it's not on the line to the Alice, it's on the Crystal Brook -
Broken Hill line.  The line in the NT is not in SA, obviously!

The connections between Crystal Brook - Broken Hill - Peterborough - Pt
Augusta and Alice Springs escape me, although I was under the impression
that the line to The Alice really started from Pt Augusta and went
through Quorn and Hawker before heading on up to Maree and the centre
while the line from Peterborough was to Pt Augusta and that passengers
from Sydney changed at Peterborough on 3'6" for the service to Pt
Augusta and then at Quorn to catch The Gahn.  Was this not the case?
I'm not originally from this part of the world and I'm yet to delve into
the 3'6" history of my adopted state in depth.  I based my details on
one visit to Pichi Richi while I was doing a short term locum in Pt
Augusta.

Cheers,
	Jackson
Jackson & Jo Harding