Re: GSR will extend the Ghan service to Darwin

Jackson Harding <jaxsonjo@camtech.net.au> wrote in message
3821FC28.6B561621@camtech.net.au">news:3821FC28.6B561621@camtech.net.au...
> "< Tell >" wrote:
>
> > The Tarcoola to Alice Springs line did not "gradually
> > replace" the narrow gauge, the standard gauge is a long
> > way west of the old narrow gauge and both gauges were
> > operational into Alice Springs for a short period.
> >
> > ----Terry Burton
>
> The line was originally all NG.  In the early 60's the SG was put
> through to the Leigh Creek coalfields and extended on to Maree, where
> there was a break of gauge, the Ghan then ran on a mixture of SG and
> NG.  That line beyond the coal mines was replaced by the Tarcoola-Alice
> Springs line later on.  Sure looks like a gradual shift from narrow to
> standard guage to me.

Hi Jackson,

Sounds like a difference in interpretation to me. You both are right, when
looking at the overall line from Adelaide to Alice Springs.

Using your interpretation though, with the old line, they basically
standardised parts of the line at a time, keeping gerally the same route and
formation.

Tell, on the other hand, argues that they abandoned the old line and built a
totally new line.

Both arguments have their merit.

--
DaveProctor