Re: Melbourne frequencies (was Double deckers)

Vaughan Williams wrote:

> > There are practical reasons why the Western suburbs aren't better
> serviced. Someone decided that all trains should go
> > through the City Loop. This has resulted in the Northern loop running
> near to capacity all the time.
>
> Thats a red herring.
> With a 12-min offpeak on all those lines, even if they do all run
> through the loop, you have by my reckoning (W'town, Werribee, St
> Albans, Broady, Upfield) six lines going through there. That gives you
> a two-minute frequency through the northern loop, which may be close to
> capacity but allows a buffer between trains so that if one is delayed
> it won't delay more than one or two behind it.

Off peak it is a 20  in service on each line through the Northern loop. If
one train is delayed by 3 miknutes the next 2 trains are also blocked.
There were some tests done earlier this year comparing headways in the
Burnley loop where signalling had been improved. It showed minor
improvement.

> Anyway, why should they all go through the loop? Half should go direct
> to Flinders & Spencer from Nth melb, then you can have a 10-min off
> peak frequency which gives you just over 3mins between trains with room
> to add extra ones during the peaks if needed.

Government policy.

> Aren't there four tracks to Sunshine (two broad, two dual?)??
> Unless they've pulled two up since I last caught a train out that way,
> why can't they move all the vline trains onto those tracks?

To run a train on these tracks you have to get the permission of Adelaide.
You also still use the Gauntlet track at Franklin St. and have to croos the
passenger lines at Sunshine. Passenger trains, (if they were alowed to go
that way) would get blocked at Tottenham and Sunshine on the Down and
Tottenham and Sim st on the Up.

Also Bayside trins will not allow trains to cross the lines at Sunhine
(i.e. Tottenham - Bacchus Marsh) during the peaks.
David G.