Re: Melbourne frequencies (was Double deckers)

Richard wrote:

snip

> Also with the west picking up, it would stand to reason(definitely no guarantee of commonsense) that services are
> redesigned and made somewhat more regular.
>
> cheers >:~)) Richard
>
> Vaughan Williams wrote:
>
> > I have often wondered whether the lower frequencies in the north and
> > west are for political reasons or patronage reasons.

There are practical reasons why the Western suburbs aren't better serviced. Someone decided that all trains should go
through the City Loop. This has resulted in the Northern loop running near to capacity all the time.
Each Loop caries 2 lines (Counting Lilydale/Belgave as 1) except the Northern which has 4 lines.
The other problem is V/Line Passenger traffic. All V/Line Pass trains have an agreed pathway which must be kept clear of
other trains. (Sparks have pathways too.)
To increase services to the West a third line is required from Footscray to Sunshine and Footscray to Newport or dedicated
V/Line tracks to Sunshine and Newport.
I don't expect to see that.
David G.