Re: Melbourne frequencies (was Double deckers)

> There are practical reasons why the Western suburbs aren't better
serviced. Someone decided that all trains should go
> through the City Loop. This has resulted in the Northern loop running
near to capacity all the time.

Thats a red herring.
With a 12-min offpeak on all those lines, even if they do all run
through the loop, you have by my reckoning (W'town, Werribee, St
Albans, Broady, Upfield) six lines going through there. That gives you
a two-minute frequency through the northern loop, which may be close to
capacity but allows a buffer between trains so that if one is delayed
it won't delay more than one or two behind it.

Anyway, why should they all go through the loop? Half should go direct
to Flinders & Spencer from Nth melb, then you can have a 10-min off
peak frequency which gives you just over 3mins between trains with room
to add extra ones during the peaks if needed.

> Each Loop caries 2 lines (Counting Lilydale/Belgave as 1) except the
Northern which has 4 lines.
> The other problem is V/Line Passenger traffic. All V/Line Pass trains
have an agreed pathway which must be kept clear of
> other trains. (Sparks have pathways too.)
> To increase services to the West a third line is required from
Footscray to Sunshine and Footscray to Newport or dedicated
> V/Line tracks to Sunshine and Newport.

Aren't there four tracks to Sunshine (two broad, two dual?)??
Unless they've pulled two up since I last caught a train out that way,
why can't they move all the vline trains onto those tracks?

Vaughan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.