Re: Victorian Interstate Corridors

Notagunzel wrote:

> What happened to the original panel in Head Office? Long gone probably...

I'd love to know if it still exists in boxes buried somewhere say at Spotswood.

> > 2.   Unless I've got it completely wrong, the SG panel in West
> >       Tower is Spencer Street - West Footscray Junction and
> >       is not VDU-based.
>
> Hmm... confusion has occured.  Certainly a Western CTC panel was brought
> into use in West Tower on 28/10/86 (WN 42/86), & control was transferred
> over to Centrol at a date not recorded in Jungi's book. DEL might know
> further.  It was something to do with IR issues.  I erroniously assumed this
> was the critter referred to.  The concept of transferring the Panel
> controlling the SG between SSS and WFJ to Adelaide is one which I hadn't
> occured to me,
>
> SG at Spencer St is controlled by No. 1 Box, and the single line section
> towards Dynon is released by West Tower.  The SG signals protecting the
> Gauntlet track are controlled from West Tower, and released from the
> Franklin St interlocking, which is controlled by Metrol.  Moonee Ponds Ck
> Jct (East end of Sth Dynon Yard) is controled by West Tower,  all of the
> West Tower control up to now is on the Route Setting Panel.  Sth Dynon
> Jct/Sims Street Jct was once controlled by a panel in Sth Kensington Box, in
> 1993 the control was shifted to West Tower (same or new panel?).  The DG
> double line section to West Footscray is Automatic Block Signalling, and the
> Signalling at West Footscray is something not fully understood by myself.
> It's split somehow between West Footscray Box, and West Tower, but the SG
> Double to Single Line Jct has it's own relay interlocking controlled by the
> NE CTC.

Pretty much OK, the Dynon panel (correct name for the panel that was formerly at
South Kensington Box) was replaced by a new panel (has the new type switches) in
West Tower. Its area of control tacks on to Spencer Street No 1 Box i.e. at
about South Dynon Loco points, and extends through to Sth Dynon Jcn but it also
has control on some signals at West Footscray because that signal box was
switched out for a lot of the time. The exact situation now that West Footscray
is in some times I would think is unchanged but would need confirmation. The
down signal at West Footscray Jcn off the dg line was controlled by three signal
boxes.

> If someone knows better, corrections would be appreciated.
>
> >       I'm a notasignalgunzel,
>
> Shame on you, signals are much more interesting than tea kettles on
> steroids....

Very much so.

> >       so I haven't perused that panel with any
> >       detail when I've been up in the Tower.
>
> You'll know better next time....

Always take photos in signal boxes, they will change before you get back.

DEL