Re: Kensington grain siding - Part II

Tony Gatt wrote:

> The old diagram from the days of Double Interlocked Gates, and the Lever
> frame (75 levers in the end), is on display at North Williamstown Railway
> Museum. Check it out, as I believe it was current up until the abolition in
> 1969.

Yes the two sets of gates remained until closure on 16 Nov 1969.

> I also found this infromation:
>
> 05-11-1969   Up home signal Nš. 2 converted to an automatic signal and
> renumbered E424.
>
> I would assume that it was a controlled auto signal (still utilising no.2
> lever), a simple removal of the "stick" circuit that requires the lever to
> be placed normal, before the signal can be cleared to proceed.

No. The signal lever was abolished and the signal became a proper automatic
signal.

> Not that that makes too much difference, the frame was abolished on
> 16-11-1969 (11 days later) and replaced with the McKenzie & Holland panel
> that is there now.

And as I have explained to Chris, it was probably removed because it was not
going to be worked from the new panel and sop became one of the stages in the
abolition of Essendon Box.

David Langley.