Signalling at Essendon was Kensington grain siding - Part II

Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote:

> While on the topic of Essendon a few of the levers
> 2 was the up home at Pascoe Vale something to do with keeping goods
> trains until a clear run up the hill to Essendon

When Pascoe Vale was a double line block post (closed 15 Nov 1965 when
auto sigs prov between Essendon and Broadmeadows) it was able to hold up
goods trains if a clear run through Essendon was not available. A heavy
up goods held at the up home arrival at Essendon might stall and cause
all sorts or problems. When Pascoe Vale signal box was closed, the same
facility was afforded Essendon who could hold signal 2 at stop until the
clear run was available. This signal was worked by lever 2 in Essendon
box but AFAIK this lever was in fact a switch on the block shelf

Lever 2 had previously been the gate stops lever for the main line gates
but they had been altered to lever 5 on 19 Aug 1962 probably something
to do with awkward to operate as lever 2 was actually between the 2 gate
wheels. Lever 5 had been the up distant but the up bracket arrival home
signals and the distant were converted to lights signals on 18 Dec 1960
and was probably because the facing crossover just ahead of the home
arrival was about to be converted to motor operation (actually done on
11 Jun 1961) and the circuits were easier to manage via light signals.
The up distant became a repeater E 360 (which places it on the
Broadmeadows side of Glenbervie station) and that would have been most
convenient for sighting considering the curve.

When the panel replaced the mechanical frame on 16 Nov 1969, the signal
at Pascoe Vale had been converted to an automatic on 5 Nov 1969, the
lever control of the signal being removed completely. The necessity to
hold goods trains back had long passed.

> 6 was something to do with Down moves, an auto? I don't know it
> is no longer in use

Lever 6 controlled the auto signal E 291 and was required because the
points from the car siding were situated in the normal speed overlap of
the home signal No 8 provided crossover 7 was left normal. Crossover 5
was apparently outside the overlap area and therefore even though it
survives today the lever control of E 291 is not required.

> 12 I think was the dwarf from the car sidings

Yes

> 14,20,28 spare?

Yes

> 34 from siding B to platform 1 now removed.

Yes and 33 worked the catch points in Siding B.

> Points:
> 11 was the points and catch from the car sidings

Yes

> 23? something to do with the crosslocked frame???

23 was the crosslock lever which when reversed, electrically released
lever 1 in the ground frame.

> 33? wouldn't have a clue

Siding B catch point.

> One thing with lever 2 there is no space for it, where was it?

Lever 2 was not provided on the panel because there was no need for it.

David Langley.