Re: Kensington grain siding - Part II

Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote:

> It was actually a home signal, one of the few that protected nothing, just
> a home to stop goods train passing it until a clear run up the hill.
>
> I think there was one a Footscray like that as well.

Yes, post 19 on the Williamstown line. Up goods trains would be stopped on the
down grade through Seddon prior to getting the clear run through Footscray.

> When were the goods lines removed from Kensington?

The overhead was removed on 12 Sep1986 and the goods lines were placed OOU in
Oct 1986, the WN is silent on the actual date. But then the WN was painfully
silent on a lot of dates in that period. The goods lines were removed to permit
the subn line to be realigned via the goods lines alignment over Lloyd St whilst
the subn bridge was rebuilt. The goods lines of course were never restored.

David.