Re: Victorian Interstate Corridors

Yuri J Sos <steam4me@enternet.com.au> wrote in message
3738c9b7.793995@news.enternet.com.au">news:3738c9b7.793995@news.enternet.com.au...

> "Notagunzel" <notagunzel@bigfoot.com> wrote, and I selectively quote:

>>> A colleague filming from West Tower last week reported technicians
>>> grubbing around underneath the SG Control panel, working out how to
>>> disconnect it to move it to Adelaide.  I understand the Melbourne -
>>> Albury panel is also to be moved to Adelaide.

>>AFAIK the 'office' equipment for the existing CTC Wolseley - Adelaide -
>>Coonimia is based around VDU's, moving the existing physical mimic panels
>>doesn't sound cost effective.  Surely one of the off the shelf PC based
>>solutions would be used?

> 1.    Is Melbourne - Albury VDU based as well?

AFAIK it's got a mimic diagram, but the control is via a Keyboard/VDU.

What happened to the original panel in Head Office? Long gone probably...

> 2.   Unless I've got it completely wrong, the SG panel in West
>       Tower is Spencer Street - West Footscray Junction and
>       is not VDU-based.

Hmm... confusion has occured.  Certainly a Western CTC panel was brought
into use in West Tower on 28/10/86 (WN 42/86), & control was transferred
over to Centrol at a date not recorded in Jungi's book. DEL might know
further.  It was something to do with IR issues.  I erroniously assumed this
was the critter referred to.  The concept of transferring the Panel
controlling the SG between SSS and WFJ to Adelaide is one which I hadn't
occured to me,

SG at Spencer St is controlled by No. 1 Box, and the single line section
towards Dynon is released by West Tower.  The SG signals protecting the
Gauntlet track are controlled from West Tower, and released from the
Franklin St interlocking, which is controlled by Metrol.  Moonee Ponds Ck
Jct (East end of Sth Dynon Yard) is controled by West Tower,  all of the
West Tower control up to now is on the Route Setting Panel.  Sth Dynon
Jct/Sims Street Jct was once controlled by a panel in Sth Kensington Box, in
1993 the control was shifted to West Tower (same or new panel?).  The DG
double line section to West Footscray is Automatic Block Signalling, and the
Signalling at West Footscray is something not fully understood by myself.
It's split somehow between West Footscray Box, and West Tower, but the SG
Double to Single Line Jct has it's own relay interlocking controlled by the
NE CTC.

If someone knows better, corrections would be appreciated.

>       I'm a notasignalgunzel,

Shame on you, signals are much more interesting than tea kettles on
steroids....

>       so I haven't perused that panel with any
>       detail when I've been up in the Tower.

You'll know better next time....

--
Mr B.