Re: Victorian Interstate Corridors

Yuri J Sos <steam4me@enternet.com.au> wrote in message
3739c3ce.1520653@news.enternet.com.au">news:3739c3ce.1520653@news.enternet.com.au...

> Maurie Daly wrote, and I selectively quote:

> According to "usually reliable sources" ARTC thinks it controls ALL SG
> track in the region (including Spencer Street Station), including that
> SG track which has a check rail 6½ inches outside one of the SG's
> rails.

I can just see Bayside getting a path from Adelaide for a move over the
Gauntlet track! :-(

> Sim Street Jn (was Sth Dynon Junction) to West Footscray Junction is a
> vexatious bit of line with ARTC, VicTrack and FV all with an interest
> in the track there.  One piece of idle speculation I've heard is that
> FV will take over the down line and ARTC the Up line, each ripping out
> the unwanted third rail.

Typical brick wall mentality.  Shades of the Adelaide hills.  If there is a
problem on one track (defective train, trackwork etc...), a 'modern' railway
would simply run the services on the other bi-directionally signalled
track...

> >Do the ARTC Train controllers sit in 590 Collins St or has
> >control been shifted to Adelaide?

ARTC train controllers sit in Adelaide and Pt Augusta, VRTC train
controllers in 589 Collins St work 'on behalf' of the ARTC last I knew.  Not
for much longer though.

> Apparently the ASW panel/room/terminal ("Fantasy Island" I hear is its
> name) is to be/has been shifted to Adelaide.  In the meantime ARTC
> controllers will work there.

When control goes to Adelaide, the rumour was that the ASW would be deleted
in favour of TO's.  IF (big if) ARTC was to shift the ASW workstation to
Adelaide, it would be VERY interesting.  Not being totally familiar with the
guts of the ASW system, (being proprietary, the details never seemed to be
published, beyond what appeared in Somersault) the interfacing of the
interlocking logic around the Nth Geelong 'C' - Gheringhap section would be
fun.  The vital serial interface between Mile End and Centrol would be
expensive sounding, considering its currently in the same 'system' within
Centrol.  This is probably a contributing factor behind the TO stories.

> A colleague filming from West Tower last week reported technicians
> grubbing around underneath the SG Control panel, working out how to
> disconnect it to move it to Adelaide.  I understand the Melbourne -
> Albury panel is also to be moved to Adelaide.

AFAIK the 'office' equipment for the existing CTC Wolseley - Adelaide -
Coonimia is based around VDU's, moving the existing physical mimic panels
doesn't sound cost effective.  Surely one of the off the shelf PC based
solutions would be used?

> Isn't privatisation and rationalisation wonderful?

On the move, but where?

--
Mr B.
Certified Gunzel.