Re: Why the IP ended up on Platform 5

On Tue, 11 May 1999 00:36:06 +1000, "Jack" <bd107@tsn.cc> wrote:

>As a result Sydney Station became very congested as NO Countrylink services
>left Sydney on time... WT27 was on Platform 1, ST2 was on 2, NT3 was on 3
>and SP19 was on 4, that ws why the IP ended up on 5...  As a result WT27/28
>was cancelled and replaced by busses as was SP 19.... NT3 was also cancelled
>and replaced by busses.... the set for ST3 was still at Meeks Road.. The set
>on platform 3 was transposed from NT3 to ST3.... and the Set originally
>rostered on ST3 work NT3 MT cars to Grafton departing Meeks Road at 1025..
>this set ran via Enfield.... On arrival at Grafton the MT cars will form NT4

As Jack Sparkes' funeral train required to use a platform with a
run-round facility, I understand that union approval was given for
4401 with a 3801 Limited crew to tow the XPT in platform 1 out to
Meeks Road.   This allowed 3830 to bring in the cars for the special.

I understand that GSR was not happy about being docked in platform 6
(lucky to be docked at all!).   I believe that the IP cars were
subsequently moved over to platform 1 for the afternoon departure.

Despite being a funeral train, i am advised that the casket was NOT
carried on the train at the request of the family.   Disappointing,
because Jack would have wanted a final trip.

Hunslet.