Re: Why the IP ended up on Platform 5

Hunslet wrote in message <3738181b.2895041@news.cia.com.au>...>

chop

>As Jack Sparkes' funeral train required to use a platform with a
>run-round facility, I understand that union approval was given for
>4401 with a 3801 Limited crew to tow the XPT in platform 1 out to
>Meeks Road.   This allowed 3830 to bring in the cars for the special.
>
>I understand that GSR was not happy about being docked in platform 6
>(lucky to be docked at all!).   I believe that the IP cars were
>subsequently moved over to platform 1 for the afternoon departure.
>
>Despite being a funeral train, i am advised that the casket was NOT
>carried on the train at the request of the family.   Disappointing,
>because Jack would have wanted a final trip.
>
>Hunslet.

Hunslett
        Your above comments regarding the carriage of the casket are true.
In the final days of Jack's life, his family contacted us and advised that
the casket would be going by road direct to the chappel at Woronora. 3801
Limited had previously obtained permission to use AH19 on the train for his
last journey. I am not aware if Jack was aware of his family's decision
prior to his death. None the less the operation of the special hauled by
3830 was successful, despite the initial hiccup at Sydney station caused by
the Countrylink strike.

As to the docking of the IP, there were a few choice words over the train
radios about Jack's train in No. 1 platform. They mainly centred around the
fact that 130 "LIVE" passengers on the IP being more important than one
deceased railway officer. However our train did not need to go to a platform
with a run-around as, being aware of the problems in Sydney Yard, we had
already arranged to have the train top & tailed into Sydney station and any
available platform could have been used. It was more a case of being in the
right place at the right time when the XPT vacated No. 1 platform.

The above reference to 4401 being used to clear the XPT has been corrected
be a subsequent post.

Geoff Lillico
Office Manager
3801 Limited