ATTN DAVID B RE 32'S IN TIBET

> > David - Have you noticed the similarity between the 32 class of the NSWGR &
> > the 5A class of the Tibet Railways? Is it true that some 32s were shipped
> > there after scrapping?

> David Bromage wrote:
> I don't know if any whole units were sent after scrapping, but apparently
> some bits were sent as spares.
>

> The Morphetts (grahamm@onthenet.com.au) wrote:

Further research via a friend of the Dali Lama in Tibet has revealed that there
are several 32's in various states of disrepair still in existence in that
country. They have all been painted an unfortunate yellow colour apparently, and
have much red and gold decorative markings around them. The number 5A is
prominently painted on the smokebox door of each loco in both english and
tibettan characters.
You mentioned the group wanting to bring one home & I was talking to several
people today and it appears that a fund can/will be established to bring one
home, and to further establish if other NSWGR locos also went to Tibet. As I'm
unavailable as constantly as the job requires, I was wondering if you could act
as treasurer for the group to receive donations towards the repatriation of one
or more of these locos.
It appears that the 32's went to Tibet because the 34's preceeded them, and the
administration was so pleased with the 34, that it wanted more, could not get
them and opted for the 32's when they became available. So it appears that at
least parts of one or more 34's may yet turn up.

--
The Coramba Creek Timber Company's Railway
Web Page: