Re: Time to wake up Steamrail Board Ban Alcohol On Your Tours

There is a time and a place for everything....

Don't get me wrong by what you read in the following, I enjoy a drink at
times as well..

read on..

John Wayman <trecker@bigpond.com> wrote in message
4mJY2.26724$MB3.39032@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:4mJY2.26724$MB3.39032@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> David,
>
> I agree with Mr Proctor.
>
> Allowing alcohol on fan trips actually makes them more attractive for many
> people.

Alcohol can make anything attractive :P

> Why not ignore these people having a quiet drink, as they are helping to
pay
> for the tour to run.

As long as it is a QUIET drink..

> Patronage on these tours would be less without alcohol being allowed.

I beg to differ, you will more than likely find that people do not travel
for fear of being harrassed by an intoxicated passenger.

> Just because you don't drink alcohol doesn't mean that everyone else
> shouldn't.

And just because you do, doesn't mean that those who don't have to suffer
the uncontrolled behaviour. just have a look at the behaviour as mentioned
on the XPT...

> But your comments indicate that tours perhaps should include a non
corridor
> compartment car, nicknamed the wowsers' car, where you can wallow in your
> experience without inflicting your prejudices on others.

> Other occupants of
> this car could also be women with dresses below the knee and no cleavage
> showing. Cameras should only be loaded with 50 ASA slide film, and all
> recording should be done on a reel to reel tape recorder. Video recorders
> would also be forbidden. Men in most cases should also wear a hat and
carry
> their gear in a Gladstone bag.

Now who is moving to the ridiculous??

> You obviously yearn for such an experience, but I am glad Steamrail is
> progressive and trying to service all of its customers in the manner they
> require. A long steam trip, especially when running extremely late, can be
> taxing ordeal. A can of beer or a glass of wine in good company can help
> turn an otherwise bleak experience into an enjoyable one for people that
way
> inclined.

Yes, but what about those who cannot control themselves.. I know some people
just lose all form of control under the influence.. why should they be the
only ones to have a "good time"?

> Alcohol has always been smuggled onto steam trips, but it is much
healthier
> that the practice is recognised, and believe me there is money to be made
in
> catering for these people.

Alcohol has been smuggled into many events.. but you find these people are a
little more cautious and controlled because of their "illegal behaviour"

> As at the football etc., there may be a case for wet and dry areas on
train.
> A dry area would probably actually attract the most severe gunzels and
hence
> make the rest of the train even more attractive to the less severe fans.

Great Idea, now we are getting somewhere...

> Consumption of alcohol is still an acceptable practice in our society, and
> if by allowing it a tour can operate, be thankful and turn the other
cheek.

Many other things have been acceptable, but views have changed...

> Time for another glass of wine,

I will have one if you are offering...