Re: Time to wake up Steamrail Board Ban Alcohol On Your Tours

I am making a very valid point about alcohol on tours.

In that case I think Steamrail should consider running a dry part of the
train for those of us who don't drink and don't want to be annoyed by the
passengers who are intoxicated.  If you had a family of young people, I am
sure you would no want them in  a part of the train where people are
intoxicated. There should be an option in the booking form stating this.
Remember we pay money for the tour too, not just you people.
Fair is fair.
I am sure some solution could be worked out!

Reg
David

Tony Gatt <baulko@tig.com.au> wrote in article
<7h05u3$b8p$1@toto.tig.com.au>...
There is a time and a place for everything....

Don't get me wrong by what you read in the following, I enjoy a drink at
times as well..

read on..

John Wayman <trecker@bigpond.com> wrote in message
4mJY2.26724$MB3.39032@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:4mJY2.26724$MB3.39032@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> David,
>
> I agree with Mr Proctor.
>
> Allowing alcohol on fan trips actually makes them more attractive for
many
> people.

Alcohol can make anything attractive :P

> Why not ignore these people having a quiet drink, as they are helping to
pay
> for the tour to run.

As long as it is a QUIET drink..

> Patronage on these tours would be less without alcohol being allowed.

I beg to differ, you will more than likely find that people do not travel
for fear of being harrassed by an intoxicated passenger.

> Just because you don't drink alcohol doesn't mean that everyone else
> shouldn't.

And just because you do, doesn't mean that those who don't have to suffer
the uncontrolled behaviour. just have a look at the behaviour as mentioned
on the XPT...

> But your comments indicate that tours perhaps should include a non
corridor
> compartment car, nicknamed the wowsers' car, where you can wallow in your
> experience without inflicting your prejudices on others.

> Other occupants of
> this car could also be women with dresses below the knee and no cleavage
> showing. Cameras should only be loaded with 50 ASA slide film, and all
> recording should be done on a reel to reel tape recorder. Video recorders
> would also be forbidden. Men in most cases should also wear a hat and
carry
> their gear in a Gladstone bag.

Now who is moving to the ridiculous??

> You obviously yearn for such an experience, but I am glad Steamrail is
> progressive and trying to service all of its customers in the manner they
> require. A long steam trip, especially when running extremely late, can
be
> taxing ordeal. A can of beer or a glass of wine in good company can help
> turn an otherwise bleak experience into an enjoyable one for people that
way
> inclined.

Yes, but what about those who cannot control themselves.. I know some
people
just lose all form of control under the influence.. why should they be the
only ones to have a "good time"?

> Alcohol has always been smuggled onto steam trips, but it is much
healthier
> that the practice is recognised, and believe me there is money to be made
in
> catering for these people.

Alcohol has been smuggled into many events.. but you find these people are
little more cautious and controlled because of their "illegal behaviour"

> As at the football etc., there may be a case for wet and dry areas on
train.
> A dry area would probably actually attract the most severe gunzels and
hence
> make the rest of the train even more attractive to the less severe fans.

Great Idea, now we are getting somewhere...

> Consumption of alcohol is still an acceptable practice in our society,
and
> if by allowing it a tour can operate, be thankful and turn the other
cheek.

Many other things have been acceptable, but views have changed...

> Time for another glass of wine,

I will have one if you are offering...