Re: New logic on Metcard

Michael wrote:
> I liked Metcard before i became a frequent user too. I have to use it 6 days
> a week now and im really wishing we could go back to the easy way, paper
> tickets. There was nothing wrong with them, there was less fare evasion.

Have to disagree.

Less fare evasion on trains. Not being able to buy a ticket is no longer
an excuse.

More fare evasion on trams. Much easier to avoid buying/validating a
ticket, and leap up to the machine when the ticket inspectors get on.

Hopefully increases in plain clothes inspectors will improve this. I've
seen some in action on the train. They sat watching a woman with her
feet on the seats for a couple of minutes, then politely introduced
themselves and fined her $100.

> >>Metcard is destroying the loyalty of many otherwise happy users of public
> >>transport.
> >
> >Only because they are too "precious".

Fact is, as far as trams go, Metcard has meant a big BIG loss in
customer service compared to the use of conductors (particularly roving
conductors). Maybe people not used to conductors don't miss them, but
for the bulk of Melbourne tram travellers, it's a big change. Perhaps in
time people will get used to it.

OneLink have complained about the "culture of fare evasion" in
Melbourne. It might be the case with the trains, as for so many years
half the stations weren't manned outside 6am to 2pm weekdays. But it was
never the case on the trams.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Custard Communications Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia