Re: [AUS] Radio forum on public transport

> Uh-oh, the good old anti-westie sentiment raises its ugly head again...

:o)
Sorry... :o)

> *roar* Actually, being a long-time resident of the Greater West, I'd have
> to say that planning and transportation is better here than in the inner
> city. Firstly, our roads tend to have medians. Our roads have been
> resurfced at least once since 1950, and rail stations actually have parking

All this is quite true - I've lived and worked in the western suburbs
myself, for a few years.

But would you not agree that the "planning" is mostly of the line of
thought: "how fast can I get this road to get me out of the city" The
shape of the suburbs is a really nice fan - spreading out and out with
almost no interconnection.

The sprawl is such that it's nigh on impossible to get around the place
unless you are travelling in a direct line toward or away from the city
centre. (or have a car). It was for this very reason that I bought my
first car.

> lots. Interchanges at major suburban stations are fairly well designed, and
True. I've caught trains along the main lines, and the busses seem to
match them reasonably well... but...

> It's primarily those who live and WORK in the west who use their private
> cars, because, well, intra-suburban public transport sucks truly. The fact
> that the western suburbs are divided up into several discrete areas each
> operated by a single private bus company and no bus company will dare drive
> through or to another companie's area hinders this greatly.

This is what I was referring to.
Unless you want to go directly toward the city, you've not got much
hope... and the late night options are pretty dismal..