Re: [AUS] Radio forum on public transport

Leif <leif.hanlen@studentmail.newcastle.edu.au> wrote in article
<3793AF2C.5B4D5291@studentmail.newcastle.edu.au>...

> Melbourne has a dogs-breakfast as far as getting anywhere, so you drive
> a car... because that's what you think is necessary... and so, to cope,
> the city spreads out, making public transport les and less possible. A
> sprawling city does not accomodate itself to a public transport system.
> I think it's fairly obvious why.
>
> Sydney to a lesser extent - certainly the western suburbs look like a
> pre-shooler's drawing as far as planning goes.

Uh-oh, the good old anti-westie sentiment raises its ugly head again...
*roar* Actually, being a long-time resident of the Greater West, I'd have
to say that planning and transportation is better here than in the inner
city. Firstly, our roads tend to have medians. Our roads have been
resurfced at least once since 1950, and rail stations actually have parking
lots. Interchanges at major suburban stations are fairly well designed, and
most ppl who live in the West and work in the city either catch a bus or
drive to their nearest station and catch a train the rest of the way in.
It's primarily those who live and WORK in the west who use their private
cars, because, well, intra-suburban public transport sucks truly. The fact
that the western suburbs are divided up into several discrete areas each
operated by a single private bus company and no bus company will dare drive
through or to another companie's area hinders this greatly.

Regards,
Bradley.