Re: RIP ASW?

Notagunzel <notagunzel@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
932382103.78048@newscache.net2000.com.au">news:932382103.78048@newscache.net2000.com.au...
> SW 1150/99 proclaims that commencing Sunday 25.7.99, Section
> Authority working between Maroona - Portland and
> Gheringhap - Yelta is to be abolished & replaced with Train
> Order Working.
>
> Broad Gauge trains will run on Channel 2 between Nth Geelong
> C and Gheringhap, and Channel 5 Gheringhap to Yelta.
> Portland  - Maroona will be on Channel 5.
>
> Question Time: At the moment, does a Broads Gauge train
> between Gheringhap & North Geelong C get its Section
> Authority off the ARTC controller at Mile End, or off the FV
> controller in Centrol?
>
> Also, am I correct in saying FV only has 3 boards operating
> at the moment:
> Room 3: Nth Gex C - Yelta, Portland, Melb - Ararat, Pinaroo,
> Ararat - Castlemaine,  Hopetoun & Yaapeet, Robinvale &
> Kulwin;
> Room 5: Warrnambool, Brooklyn (SG)??, Seymour -
> Shepperton(Tocumwaul?), Strathmerton - Cobram, Benalla -
> Oaklands;
> Room 9: Melb to Stony Pt, Sale, Nyora & Piangil, Bgo -
> Deniliquin
>
> (source: SW1125/99)
>
> Room 3 was the ARTC ASW board, Room 4 was the FV ASW board,
> Room 6 was the spare ASW board?
>
> Nuf questions :o)
>
> P.S. Rumour would have it that the NE CTC goes to Mile End
> at the end of this month, wonder which Channel & Board for
> the NE BG?
>
> --
> Mr Notagunzel.
> Rail Transportation Connoisseur.
> notagunzel@bigfoot.com
> (Waiting for the next move at
> http://www.bigfoot.com/~notagunzel)

Great News!!!!!!!!!!

I always said ASW stood for ALTERNATIVE to SAFEWORKING.

This was (in my opinion) a very (I wouldn't say dangerous) but I would say
unsatifactory form of train operation. It could be dangerous if one was
tired and not thinking straight (but then again could any system), but it
just didn't feel safe.

Also there were enough instances which put doubt into a Drivers mind as to
the safety of the system.

I remember on one occassion I pulled up at Manor Loop on an Up train, I
relinquished my Authority for the Elders BP to Manor Loop, I received a
Manor Loop to Galvin BP Authority in the Next Authority Screen, I advanced
it to the Current Authority Screen by acknowledging it, and commenced to
depart, then I received another Authority in the Next Authority Screen, I
commenced to read it before acknowledging it. To my amazement it read
"Proceed Manor Loop to Galvin BP"

I had two authorities for the same track section, of cause this can't happen
like hell, it did, the PTC held an inquiry and whilst I didn't get the full
explanation but I was told that it was a sequence collision, (whatever that
is). Kind of destroys your faith in the system a little.

Regards,

Bob.