Re: [AUS] Radio forum on public transport

On Sun, 18 Jul 1999 17:42:29 +0100, stang@iweb.net.au (Aidan Stanger)
wrote:

<snip>

>> The bus/tram route is fixed - and in peak times excruciatingly s l o o o o w.
>
>You don't need to explain why you can drive it more quickly. I never
>doubted that. My question was:  What is this journey that's possible to
>drive in ten minutes, but can't be done in an hour by bus and tram?

Try Upper Ferntree Gully to Dandenong!

30-40 minutes by car, 2-3 hours by train and bus!

All of our public transport goes in one direction: into the CBD.

If you don't work in the CBD and don't live on the same tram/train
line as work then you have to use a car!

With Melbourne suburbs spread out up to 50-70km (as the crow flies)
from the CBD the public transport is damned ineffective!  We are only
just putting in ring roads for people to travel from the west to the
north without having to go through the inner suburbs!

The train lines have already been sold and it will probably be 20
years before any of the owners are confident enough to put a new line
in along any of these routes.  Our government has shown that it is not
prepared to put any money into infrastructure at all!

Cheers...
1986 Lotus Excel S.E.