Re: [AUS] Radio forum on public transport

Greg Sheppard <greg.sheppard@aea.sptcomd.defence.gov.au> wrote:

> Aidan Stanger wrote...
> >Greg Sheppard <greg.sheppard@aea.sptcomd.defence.gov.au> wrote:
> >
> 8X---
> >> To reiterate - you OBVIOUSLY don't live in Melbourne...
> >
> >...and wouldn't want to.  :-)
>

> Quite!
>
> >> Personally - and my current situation is not radically different to any
> >> other I have had in varied employment locales in over 25 years at work -
> the
> >> following average times apply in or off peak for my daily journey:
> 8X---
>
> >I find these figures hard to believe. What is this journey that's
> >possible to drive in ten minutes, but can't be done in an hour by bus
> >and tram?
> >
> Um..
>
> Trams run on _rails_ - and are therefore fixed in their routes.

Obviously. However you did mention buses as well.

> I also require to change routes to get from home to work...

I'm not surprised. That still doesn't answer my question.

> Cars (and bicycles) are able to alter their routes, based on traffic
> conditions on the day...
>
> The 10 minute route by car can be achieved using suburban roads in light
> traffic conditions. I wouldn't attempt it in peak periods.
>
> The bus/tram route is fixed - and in peak times excruciatingly s l o o o o w.

You don't need to explain why you can drive it more quickly. I never
doubted that. My question was:  What is this journey that's possible to
drive in ten minutes, but can't be done in an hour by bus and tram?

--
Aidan Stanger
Junk email will be charged at 5 millicoulombs/line.