Re: [AUS] Radio forum on public transport

Aidan Stanger wrote in message
<1duvyjc.z9ryse1so01lmN@modem-37.name67.dialup.pol.co.uk>...
>Greg Sheppard <greg.sheppard@aea.sptcomd.defence.gov.au> wrote:

8X---
>> To reiterate - you OBVIOUSLY don't live in Melbourne...
>
>...and wouldn't want to.  :-)

Quite!

>> Personally - and my current situation is not radically different to any
>> other I have had in varied employment locales in over 25 years at work -
the
>> following average times apply in or off peak for my daily journey:
8X---

>I find these figures hard to believe. What is this journey that's
>possible to drive in ten minutes, but can't be done in an hour by bus
>and tram?

Um..

Trams run on _rails_ - and are therefore fixed in their routes. I also
require to change routes to get from home to work...

Cars (and bicycles) are able to alter their routes, based on traffic
conditions on the day...

The 10 minute route by car can be achieved using suburban roads in light
traffic conditions. I wouldn't attempt it in peak periods.

The bus/tram route is fixed - and in peak times excruciatingly s l o o o o
w.