Re: [AUS] Radio forum on public transport

Michael wrote in message <8E02D24D8telstraNews@vic.news.telstra.net>...
>14km in 10 minutes. Lets see, that makes your average trip speed 84kph. I
>certainly hope for the sake of you not getting a speeding ticket that
>there is a freeway from your front door to your office/workplace.

Called the Western Ring Road - and it's FREE!

>I would love to see an average person ride a bicycle 14km in 20 minutes.
>That is 42kph on *average*. Once again include stop start times, and you
>would have to be going bloody fast.

Actually, the bicycle route is somewhat shorter - I can go cross country
where by car _and_ public transport the route is less direct. Most critical
factor is wind speed/direction - I ain't no young, skinny weed and have
picked up a bit of wind resistance over the years...

8X---

>A car will also cost me at least $30 per week in petrol, $1000 per year
>in insurance, (because i am under 25), $500 per year in registration and
>a further $500+ per year in maintenance. That equals a grand total of
>$3560 per year to own a car and take it to/from work every day.

Ahah!  Fell for it!

Tell me what the car costs in rego and insurance sitting in your garage
then? So you are happy to pay in excess of $2300 (your guesstimate based on
an assumption that you would actually use it _sometime_) or so a year for a
garden ornament??

Unless you choose to travel NOWHERE unless by public transport - which in
Melbourne basically means in a direct line to and from the city...or you
_really_ feel masochistic enough to do the PT shuffle or are near to one of
the few cross-routes (mainly to the shopping centres...)

>The train costs me a grand total of $993.20 per year.

So owning a car AND using PT would cost you circa $3000++ pa??

>And yes, i DO live in MELBOURNE.
>
>Where did you get your figures from?

Actual costings - wanna see my Tax records or something??

>Greg Sheppard scribbled something with a chicken feather on 13/07/1999 in
><7me7p8$dmr$1@foxhound.dsto.defence.gov.au>:
>
>>To reiterate - you OBVIOUSLY don't live in Melbourne...
>>
>>Personally - and my current situation is not radically different to any
>>other I have had in varied employment locales in over 25 years at work -
>>the following average times apply in or off peak for my daily journey:
>>
>>Car: best 10 min, worst 20 min
>>
>>Bicycle: best 20 min, worst 40 min
>>
>>Bus,Tram: best 1 hour 5 min, worst 3.5 hours
>>
>>for the SAME journey of about 10 -14 km.
>>

>I don't understand this... your figures suddenly change and severely
>contradict your figures above.

Fairly easy... I _work_ closer to home than to the city.

I _utilise_ the same transport line for _part_ of the work journey.

There is _inevitably_ a 5 - 20 minute wait between transport routes (it was
on one occasion 45 minutes - sitting in the tram waiting for a driver to
arrive!!!). The Met still hasn't grasped the concept of scheduleing such
that you do not arrive at an interchange to see the connecting service
disappearing 500 m down the road...!

Distance varies depending which of several routes - freeway is longer, but
fewer traffic lights, suburbia is shorter, but traffic slower and less
direct, more lights, PT is much more convoluted, and requires changing
routes...

I quote travel times in ideal conditions and in peak conditions - I
_usually_ plan to travel outside peak times (ain't flextime wunnerful?), and
select a route (with escape options) based on current traffic conditions.

Irrespective, it takes _far_ longer by PT - moral is, when late for work, go
by car, if you've got all day, use PT. I actually don't mind PT when I've
time - one of the few chances I get to concentrate on a good book!