Re: Boo Hiss to Hillside

> "... it is know to the railways ... major disruptions occur on a
reasonably
> regular basis ..."  What's reasonably regular basis?  Can you do us a
big
> favour by indicating when the next disruption going to occur and where
it
> will be, so none of us will be late for our work, school or
appointment.

Of course I can't tell you exactly when and where it will be, or what
sort of disruption it is (say, an overhead coming down or lightening
fryng some vital system), but its a better than even chance there'll be
one somewhere, some time in the next couple of weeks. Knowing that,
there should be a plan in place - where do we get the buses from? Who do
we contact to organise them? How long will they take to get to where
they're required?

> "... the station staff should know exactly where the spare buses are
and
> who to ring to organise them ..."  Vaughan, are you serious about
this?
> How are station staff going to know this without ring relevant bus
> companies?  Becoming bus controllers with bus graphs?

Because if they have a plan, which is developed in consultation with
whoever is providing the buses, they know exactly what to do when a
disruption occurs. They don't hit the phones and ring every bus company
in melbourne just in case one has a bus sitting somewhere ready to go,
they know which company has the spare buses (and two would be enough to
get some passengers moving again) and who to contact at which bus
company to get them organised.

Anyway, I suspect its not so much that no buses are available, because
there are buses lying around in depots all over melbourne all the time.
The problem would be no drivers available to drive the spare buses
(every system operates with a certain number of spare vehicles), because
the practice in recent years has been to do away with spare or
multitalented staff.

Of course I'm serious about it. If you can't deliver the services you
promised to your valued customers, you get them to their destination
somehow, and minimise the disruption while doing so.

And someone said in a previous post that maybe country link should
substitute a bus if for any reason they can't get the XPT through - damn
right they should!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.