Re: Wilke/Wilkie

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999 20:30:30 +1000, "Ross \(Goldie\) Goldspink"
<goldicom@powerup.com.au> wrote:

>The Wilkie brother, Alan and Ray, have been around a long time.  Ray
>(Brisbane) will retire at the end of this year after 18 years at Ch 10
>Brisbane.  He was director of the Qld division of th Bureau of meteorology
>for almos 8 years before going to Ch 10.  Alan also had long and
>distinguished service in the Met Bureau although I don't have details.

I'm told that Ray Wilkie was head of the Met. office in Darwin in late
1974, too.

>As an aviator, having lived the 80's in NSW, I can assure thses guys are
>true forecasters - not "presenters" - and their explanations on the why of
>the weather leave the other stations for dead, but yes, the old jokes have
>been done to the death,

I agree with you here - when you get a qualified and highly
experienced Met man presenting the weather report, you get a much
better deal than if the TV weather is presented by a young and
telegenic blonde.

But when you continually encounter idiots who make allegedly-smart
comments on the similarity of your own name with that of someone who
appears on the television (and each begins with the belief that
they're the *first* person to have noticed that your name is similar
to someone else's), the joke wears very thin within hours of first
hearing it.

Roy Wilke