Re: Train Accident in Blue Mountains

John MacCallum wrote:

> Now Dion I'm really very pissed off with the above statement.
> I'm a train driver I can can tell you that I don't know what speed
> the IU was going at when it hit the Indian but it certainly wasn't
> anywhere
> near the 60 or 70 kph you are trying to suggest.

I didn't say it *hit* the IP at that speed, I'm saying that might have
been the speed it was travelling when the emergency brakes were applied,
based on the theoretical impact speed of 50km/h. I have no business
trying to apportion blame to anyone, I'm merely theorising on what might
have occurred based on the evidence.

> The other thing that suggests to me that the speed of impact was not
> that
> great is that the Catenary remained intact and in fact also live and
> that there
> was so little damage done to the track that there are now no speed
> restrictions in place.

That's very true as well.

Dion