Re: Anybody notice that there were no W-Class trams in Melbourne today!

>You people should know better, how many years did people travel to and from
>work on them because they didn't have anything else? once people get
something
>even remotly better, they ever want to go back to the old.
>
>Why is this?

We DO know better, being from Melbourne as opposed to Bankstown Sydney where
they got rid of all their trams in the 50s and 60s.

Back then people had fewer choices but now try this for reasons why people
aren't as keen on W class trams:

Car vs. W class vs. B class

Heaters:
Yes, whatever temp you like vs. none (although upgraded Ws are reputed to
have some but they seem to be pretty ineffective although an old solution
was to drill holes over the resistor grids!) vs. Yes but is fixed according
to what the driver feels like and is ineffective if you sit near the door or
a jammed window.

Speed:
Fast on freeway except in peak hour where you queue up vs. not very fast and
poor acceleration (I have heard tram drivers complain to themselves quite
vocally when they get stuck behind one) vs. quite good acceleration and
moderately fast depending on how many stops it stops at.

Comfort:
Depends on car but usually comfortable vs. not too bad seating but drafty
and cold on winter days and also noisy and rattly vs. moderately quiet,
seating OK but not as good as car, not the warmest but acceptable

Etc
So far the W class is losing. It is easy to say, lets keep them, they are
quaint and attract the tourists. Good for the tourists but given we are
competing against cars, the Ws won't cut it. Either the Ws need to be
upgraded to the point where they are not only acceptable to use but also get
people out of their cars. Or else get modern trams to attract people out of
their cars through speed and comfort.

After all, sailing ships and DC3s are quaint too - should we use these in
preference of modern ocean liners and 747s?